Service Line Coverage

Utility and service lines that run underneath your property typically aren’t covered by standard homeowners insurance.  If you have a Nationwide or Safeco homeowners policy with American Midwest Agency, Inc. you can add service line coverage to your policy for an additional fee to get this type of protection.

What is service line coverage?

As a homeowner, you’re on the hook financially for subterranean lines or pipes running through your property. That means if your water pipes crack or your power line is severed, it’s your responsibility to fix it. Standard homeowners insurance typically won’t cover broken utility lines — but you can add a service line coverage endorsement to your policy for this type of protection.

Service line coverage will generally cover the costs of repairing or replacing utility lines, as well as the excavation and landscape restoration after necessary repairs are complete. When you file a claim, you may have to pay a deductible, but it’ll depend on the insurance company.

What does service line coverage cover?

Here are some examples of damage that’s typically covered by service line coverage:

  • Wear and tear

  • Rust, corrosion, decay, and deterioration

  • Mechanical breakdown

  • Electrical breakdown

  • Tree or root-caused damage

  • Vermin, insects, or rodent damage

  • Freezing

  • Weight of equipment, vehicles, animals or people

  • Collapse

Keep in mind that service line coverage endorsement isn’t the same across the board and will vary by your state and insurance company.

Sample Endorsement

Call For A Quote: 651-735-5021 Ext: 201